Theme images by MichaelJay. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, April 1, 2017

More Thoughts

After recording some test footage on my camera, I have deemed the internal microphone as insufficient for the job... I felt that this was going to be a big issue from the get-go, and low and behold, there is an issue! My brother has a Blue Snowball microphone for the purpose of talking to his friends on the computer, and one of my friends has a RODE VideoMic Pro that I could potentially use.

One of my biggest qualms about using the Snowball is matching up the video with the audio... I have done this in the past, and it has always been a pain... I always get a bit OCD about the smallest things within the work I put out, and I noticed a slight delay between the audio and the video of the test clip. One of the main strategies when using an external microphone is the clapping technique, where you match up an onscreen clap with an audio clip from the external microphone of the sound being recorded. This tends to work, but leads a small possibility of something being off.

The RODE microphone would definitely be the way to go, in my opinion. The microphone provides directional sound, due to it's cone shape, and centers the audio based on a subject in front of the camera. The microphone slides into the Shoe Mount on the top of the camera, and plugs into the camera using a provided 3.5mm headphone jack. The best thing about using this microphone is the fact that it overrides the camera's main microphone, and the video from the camera would then use the RODE microphone for sound. This removes the issue of having to match up the audio clip with the video clip during editing, saving me time, and frustration.

No comments:
Write comments